Monday 20 December 2010

Designing the Bankers: Part 2

See also: Part 1, Part 3

Below is the first set of greedy banker designs I came up with. As always, any feedback is very much appreciated! As with the game itself, I'd love to involve followers in the design process, and all the comments I get help me improve the designs. So please, let me know what you think!

The banker design began with a simple biro sketch based on the ideas I'd been carrying in my head


Based on this I started drawing bankers, trying to make them look rich and flashy.
The brightly-coloured suit was originally chosen as I felt blue would be a visually more stimulating colour than grey or dark brown. Commenters felt that this made him look more like a pimp than a banker, so I tried grey on the subsequent designs. Others felt that he could be made more rotund, that a cigar might work better than a champagne glass, and that the suitcase could have money bulging from it.



The falling pose was inspired in part by the Mad Men intro sequence, and this is a motif I may use in some parts of the game. The money falling from the suitcase definitely worked, and I was very happy with the cigar. The grey suit was much better than the blue tones, and I still managed to get some colour onto it by using green light, the colour of money.

I still wasn't entirely sure he looked like a banker, and not massively greedy either. The next drawing I would do would be an attempt at a more rotund banker.